Welcome to the JackQuisitions newsletter, |
Buying a business is exciting. Buying the wrong business can set you back years. |
One of the biggest mistakes I see is chasing cash flow without asking whether the business can actually scale. Before you sign on the dotted line, make sure you're investing in a company, not just buying yourself a full-time job. |
In this week's newsletter, I'm breaking down the home service businesses I'd avoid and the traits every great acquisition should have. |
Note: Listen to my full thoughts on this episode of the JackQuisitions podcast. |
|
|
Ready For Your Next Acquisition? |
Check out these acquisition opportunities that caught my eye this week: |
|
|
|
|
Come Hang Out in Person |
I'm excited to host the Breaking $5M Workshop with John Wilson this September. Over three days, we'll share the systems, strategies, and lessons we've used to scale home service businesses, with practical takeaways you can put to work right away. |
Here's what we'll cover: |
The proven $5M Flywheel
Pricing and operational infrastructure
Hiring, recruiting, and organizational design
Call center systems that drive growth
Fleet management and scaling operations
Marketing strategies that consistently generate demand
|
Every workshop we've hosted has sold out. If you're ready to accelerate your business, I'd love to see you there. |
|
|
|
|
I’d Pass On These Opportunities |
When I'm evaluating an acquisition, I don't just ask whether the business is profitable. I ask whether it can scale. These are the eight home service businesses I'd pass on, and why: |
Residential Pressure Washing: Too easy to enter, heavily weather dependent and constantly competing with new operators willing to undercut pricing.
Christmas Light Installation: Incredible seasonal cash flow, but too concentrated into a few months each year to build a scalable business.
Residential Trash Can Cleaning: Low urgency, low-ticket work with expensive equipment and customer churn that makes long-term growth difficult.
Handyman Businesses: The business is usually built around the owner's skills, making it hard to replace the founder or build repeatable systems.
Standalone Gutter Cleaning: Better as an add-on service than a standalone company due to seasonality and limited ticket size.
Residential Window Cleaning: Another low-barrier business with small tickets, labor challenges, and limited recurring revenue.
Standalone Dryer Vent Cleaning: A great service to offer inside an HVAC company, but too small to support a standalone business.
Dog Poop Pickup: Low customer value, route density issues, and difficult hiring make it one of the toughest businesses to scale. (But there are entrepreneurs who are making it work)
|
None of these are bad businesses if your goal is to create a good income for yourself. But if you're looking to build long-term enterprise value, I believe there are far better places to invest your time and capital. |
|
|
Know Your Numbers |
Growing your business gets a lot easier when you stop guessing and start making decisions backed by data. Tyler Martin, founder of Profit & Grit Advisors, helps home service companies between $3M and $15M clean up their financials, improve cash flow, and build systems that support long-term growth. |
|
|
|
|
My Final Thoughts |
What are your thoughts on these eight business opportunities? Do any of them pique your interest? Or would you pass on them like me? |
Happy hunting, |
Jack |
How do you feel about today's JackQuisitions newsletter? |
|
|
Disclosure: Some of the content and links in this newsletter are sponsored or affiliate links, which means we may receive payment or earn a commission if you click through or purchase. However, all opinions expressed are entirely my own. |
|
|
📺️ Watch JackQuisitions episodes on YouTube |
🎧 Listen to JackQuisitions episodes on Apple and Spotify |
📰 Subscribe to the Owned and Operated newsletter here |
📰 Subscribe to the Entry & Exit newsletter here |
📧 Share the JackQuisitions newsletter with a friend |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.