Sponsor

2024/05/04

💡 The "secret" to long-term musical success

Take a guess before you read this! ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

(Only 2 days left to get 40% off the Learn Jazz Standards Inner Circle)



Hey Indiana,

Over the last year I've taken on a new (unexpected) hobby, which has led me to spending a lot of time in this place:

This is Madison Square Garden in New York City, where the New York Rangers play hockey. 

That's right, this music guy became a sports fan (sort of). You see, my parents are Canadian, so I grew up playing hockey. It was kind of a mandatory thing! If sports were ever on the TV, it was mostly hockey. 

So when over a year ago my Dad came to town and told me it was a bucket list item for him to watch a game at MSG, I bought us some tickets.

What I didn't know was that going to this game had a strange and unexpected affect on me.

Maybe it was nostalgia, maybe it was the fact that I hadn't had a hobby in over a decade, or maybe it was because I needed something other than music and my business to consume my thoughts - but I instantly became a New York Rangers fan.

I started becoming a person even I didn't recognize. I got sports tv subscriptions so I didn't miss any games. I was constantly looking for bargains on tickets. I was asking for Rangers merchandise for Christmas. I was listening to New York Rangers podcasts and YouTube channels. My wife was watching it unfold with gracious acceptance and amusement. 

WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME!?

How does a person who formerly had little interests in sports in general (the music guy), go to becoming one of those people who drinks his coffee in a New York Rangers mug every morning? 

As I've pondered this very question over the last year in an effort to understand the new Brent that has emerged, I think it can be boiled down to this...

Community.

You see, doing something we love with other people can be a huge motivator. And when you notice other people are going "all in" it inspires you to go "all in" as well. Like when I see how much fellow NY Rangers fans care about their team, it makes me care more too.

It also helps us feel more connected to others with a shared interest. For example, I now speak with my Dad and my brothers (who all love hockey) a lot more often. Music isn't a common denominator, but hockey is.

When I'm talking to others about how a New York Rangers game went, I often refer to the team as "we," as if I am an actual member of the team. I assume ownership, because I feel part of a bigger community.

When it comes to playing and learning jazz, community is arguably even more more important. 

So here's that "secret" to long-term musical success:

Jazz can be played alone in ones bedroom and in isolation from anyone else who cares about it, and they can still have a lot of fun. 

But when you have others to play with, to share your successes, tips, and enthusiasm with - that is when you get truly "hooked" on music.

In our Learn Jazz Standards Inner Circle, we have a built in community of hard core jazz musicians and fans.

These are your kind of people! They are all practicing, sharing their results with each other, providing feedback, and cheering each other on.

Honestly, the community we've built over the last 4 years is incredibly unique and special, and I want you to have a part in it.

That's why for our 4 year anniversary I'm offering you 40% off when you join in the next two days.

Come see how learning jazz with a supportive community of other like-minded musicians can radically transform your playing.
GET 40% OFF

FYI if you don't wish to receive anymore emails about our Anniversary Sale, but would like to continue getting emails about our free content, click here.

-Brent
Learn Jazz Standards

Copyright © 2024 Learn Jazz Standards, LLC All rights reserved.
Email does not look right?
View online.


Manage your subscription or unsubscribe to all emails
3537 36th St, Astoria, NY 11106

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep a civil tongue.

Label Cloud

Technology (1464) News (793) Military (646) Microsoft (542) Business (487) Software (394) Developer (382) Music (360) Books (357) Audio (316) Government (308) Security (300) Love (262) Apple (242) Storage (236) Dungeons and Dragons (228) Funny (209) Google (194) Cooking (187) Yahoo (186) Mobile (179) Adobe (177) Wishlist (159) AMD (155) Education (151) Drugs (145) Astrology (139) Local (137) Art (134) Investing (127) Shopping (124) Hardware (120) Movies (119) Sports (109) Neatorama (94) Blogger (93) Christian (67) Mozilla (61) Dictionary (59) Science (59) Entertainment (50) Jewelry (50) Pharmacy (50) Weather (48) Video Games (44) Television (36) VoIP (25) meta (23) Holidays (14)

Popular Posts