Sponsor

2024/07/13

Opinion Today: How I found my way as a high school dropout

Could I still do the same today?
Opinion Today

July 13, 2024

A small clay figure sits on a chair, with a dark cloud pouring rain on her. A larger clay figure hands her an umbrella.
Joanne Joo
Author Headshot

By Rachel Louise Snyder

Ms. Snyder is a contributing Opinion writer and the author of the memoir "Women We Buried, Women We Burned."

Several years ago, my brother, a professor at the time, introduced me to a group of university students by saying, "If you knew the Rachel at 16 years old that I knew, you'd expect her to be dead or in prison by now."

I had never heard it put this way, but I felt the truth of it right down into my gut. As I write in my recent Times Opinion guest essay, I was expelled from high school, kicked out of my house and homeless for several years in my youth. A fundamental question — how did I survive? — has preoccupied me my entire adult life, professionally as a journalist and writer who covers violence and criminal justice, but also personally as someone who came so close to a very different outcome.

Today, there are thousands of young girls and women incarcerated for crimes committed in difficult early-life circumstances. When I read about women like Cyntoia Brown, a trafficking victim who was sentenced to life in prison at 16 years old for first-degree murder and aggravated robbery, I often think that with a slight twist in my luck, I could have had a life more like hers.

As a kid I held my own rage, armored myself with my own violent persona. But while Brown was abused and forced to live on the streets or out of cheap hotels, people often opened their homes to me. That I was white and homeless in a middle-class suburb probably helped to shield me from men seeking to exploit vulnerable young girls.

What ultimately made a difference for me (and for Brown, in prison) was education. I gravitated toward sociology and literature, seeing myself reflected in the work of Studs Terkel and James Baldwin, in people forgotten or despised by society. But education takes two things: imagining that one's future can be better and the opportunity to make it so. The former is easy; imagination merely requires hope. The latter requires help from someone else. And that's where we must all rise to the challenge.

READ RACHEL'S FULL ESSAY HERE

A small clay figure sits on a chair, with a dark cloud pouring rain on her. A larger clay figure hands her an umbrella.

Guest Essay

Notes From a Formerly Unpromising Young Person

I managed to find my way in life despite being expelled from high school. Could young people in the same situation today do the same?

By Rachel Louise Snyder

THE WEEK IN BIG IDEAS

We hope you've enjoyed this newsletter, which is made possible through subscriber support. Subscribe to The New York Times.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep a civil tongue.

Label Cloud

Technology (1464) News (793) Military (646) Microsoft (542) Business (487) Software (394) Developer (382) Music (360) Books (357) Audio (316) Government (308) Security (300) Love (262) Apple (242) Storage (236) Dungeons and Dragons (228) Funny (209) Google (194) Cooking (187) Yahoo (186) Mobile (179) Adobe (177) Wishlist (159) AMD (155) Education (151) Drugs (145) Astrology (139) Local (137) Art (134) Investing (127) Shopping (124) Hardware (120) Movies (119) Sports (109) Neatorama (94) Blogger (93) Christian (67) Mozilla (61) Dictionary (59) Science (59) Entertainment (50) Jewelry (50) Pharmacy (50) Weather (48) Video Games (44) Television (36) VoIP (25) meta (23) Holidays (14)

Popular Posts