Sponsor

2024/07/27

Opinion Today: I work in TV and even I hate watching it

The streaming era turned on a fire hose of content that's drowning viewers.
Opinion Today

July 27, 2024

I try to watch TV, I swear. But every time I sit down to find a new show, I brace myself to run an exhausting digital gantlet.

A cartoon of an exhausted person lying over a television set.
Anna Haifisch

By Priyanka Mattoo

Ms. Mattoo is a filmmaker, a former talent agent and the author of the memoir "Bird Milk & Mosquito Bones."

Soon after moving to Los Angeles in my early 20s, I fell madly in love with television. Not just watching it, but talking about it. Learning to develop a TV show from glimmer to pilot. The sparkly feeling that takes hold of my body as I prepare to serve a network a new pitch. And then, the actual writing: fleshing out characters that take over my dreams, building them a web of interdependence, a history, a shared past for each relationship.

But at some point over the past decade, my TV viewing tapered off, and I didn't have a good explanation. I was catching up on reading, I said, or "I'm not good with remotes." But in writing my second book, a series of essays on reconnecting with pleasure without blowing up my life, I realized something: I simply don't enjoy the act of television viewing anymore.

In my recent Times Opinion guest essay, I talk about the encouraging start of streamers, which promised a future of better shows, from a diversity of creators. But in the ensuing race to volume, the great shows are getting lost in a deluge of cheap, fast content, leaving viewers to wade through a sea of algorithm-driven slop.

Marketing execs are constantly wringing their hands about "cutting through the noise" of all the content out there, as though their platforms didn't create it. Unfortunately, the noise also means that, as viewers, we're missing out on the pleasures of anticipation and discovery. I used to make a meal of each show; now, turning on the TV feels like being force-fed a dinner I never wanted. Which is why I was so intrigued by the success of Tubi, a streaming platform that comes across as something built by people, not bots.

I hope for a robust TV industry with tons of great jobs for everyone who wants to partake. Between last year's Writers Guild of America strike, the current contraction and the studios' startling willingness to shelve movies and shows they've already made, it's been a hard year for people who work in entertainment. We feel as if we're standing among the wreckage of an industry we once loved.

But as approaches like Tubi start to sprout from the rubble, I hope platforms, creators and artists will be able to build a new digital future that reflects the values that drew us to TV in the first place.

READ THE FULL ESSAY HERE

A cartoon of an exhausted person lying over a television set.

Guest Essay

Here's Why You Hate Watching TV Right Now

The streaming era turned on a fire hose of content that's drowning viewers. We need TV that feels created by humans, not served up by an algorithm.

By Priyanka Mattoo

THE WEEK IN BIG IDEAS

We hope you've enjoyed this newsletter, which is made possible through subscriber support. Subscribe to The New York Times.

Games Here are today's Mini Crossword, Wordle and Spelling Bee. If you're in the mood to play more, find all our games here.

Forward this newsletter to friends to share ideas and perspectives that will help inform their lives. They can sign up here. Do you have feedback? Email us at opiniontoday@nytimes.com.

If you have questions about your Times account, delivery problems or other issues, visit our Help Page or contact The Times.

Need help? Review our newsletter help page or contact us for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for the Opinion Today newsletter from The New York Times.

To stop receiving Opinion Today, unsubscribe. To opt out of other promotional emails from The Times, including those regarding The Athletic, manage your email settings. To opt out of updates and offers sent from The Athletic, submit a request.

Subscribe to The Times

Connect with us on:

facebooktwitterinstagram

Change Your EmailPrivacy PolicyContact UsCalifornia Notices

LiveIntent LogoAdChoices Logo

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep a civil tongue.

Label Cloud

Technology (1464) News (793) Military (646) Microsoft (542) Business (487) Software (394) Developer (382) Music (360) Books (357) Audio (316) Government (308) Security (300) Love (262) Apple (242) Storage (236) Dungeons and Dragons (228) Funny (209) Google (194) Cooking (187) Yahoo (186) Mobile (179) Adobe (177) Wishlist (159) AMD (155) Education (151) Drugs (145) Astrology (139) Local (137) Art (134) Investing (127) Shopping (124) Hardware (120) Movies (119) Sports (109) Neatorama (94) Blogger (93) Christian (67) Mozilla (61) Dictionary (59) Science (59) Entertainment (50) Jewelry (50) Pharmacy (50) Weather (48) Video Games (44) Television (36) VoIP (25) meta (23) Holidays (14)

Popular Posts