|
Salad spinner as dolly thrill rideKim's hack will bring out the mad scientist in your kid: Got one of those big salad spinners with a clear bowl and an easy-to-use spinning mechanism? Show your little tike how to put one of his favorite dolls in there and spin it around. This impromptu activity produced about a half hour of non-stop laughter with my two year-old, as he spun his stuffed animal and some play people round and round, peering at them through the bowl. I can vouch for this hack myself. My kids have spent hours spinning various things in the salad spinner, including marbles, plastic animals, and dolls. I love my OXO salad spinner -- it operates using a pump in the lid, and has a squishy rubber "brake" that is just as fun for the kids to use. The large, plastic bowl makes a great Barbie swimming pool, too. Related: Kid-friendly kitchens help even the youngest pitch in On Parent Hacks at: http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/parenthacks/~3/363865782/salad-spinner-a.html Trip of a lifetime? Take a spare camera.Jamie, AKA Travel Savvy Mom, suggested I file this under "lessons learned the hard way:" For reasons I don't pretend to understand, cameras always seem to go on vacation when you're on vacation. Not long ago (in famously photogenic Seville) I looked through my viewfinder, zoomed in on my family, pushed the shutter button, and...nothing happened. Luckily we were in Spain and not Papua New Guinea, so I was able buy a replacement without too much trouble. The worst part? We had a spare camera at home. If you're taking the trip of a lifetime always, always bring a second camera. This story brings to mind the magnificent photos I took at Glastonbury Abbey -- the late afternoon light was golden -- until I realized, as we were leaving, there was no film in the camera. (Remember film? The stuff you used to load in your camera before they went all digital?) Still breaks my heart. Related: All manner of travel hacks in the Travel/Going Out archive On Parent Hacks at: http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/parenthacks/~3/363805636/trip-of-a-lifet.html More Recent Articles
|
Click here to safely unsubscribe now from "Parent Hacks" or change subscription settings
| Your requested content delivery powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 9 Thoreau Way, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA. +1.978.776.9498 |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.