[chrisbrogan.com] |
| Posted: 22 Sep 2008 09:11 PM PDT
The Content Itself
Promoting Your Content
Above all else, consider who you’re trying to build the relationship with and write in such a way as to deliver that person the best possible experience with your blog they can have. Think like an entertainer in that regard. Give them the best show possible. Is there anything else I missed? What do you see in your own blog that might be made better by any of the advice above? Look at my last few posts. Am I practicing what I preach? If not, call me out. Photo credit, Focal Intent Related articles by Zemanta
|
| Posted: 22 Sep 2008 08:37 PM PDT Quick report on how things are going since launching Dad-o-Matic:
Dad-o-Matic I’m really proud with what we have, especially with the 16 authors. I just added Mark “Rizzn” Hopkins of Mashable fame, Jeffrey Sass of lots of places face, and David Petherick from Digital Biographer to name a few. They’ve got more posts coming out shortly, as do the entire team. And I hope to pry at least one more dad post out of Guy Kawasaki for next month. (Mind you, I don’t pay him as much as Amex.) So far, it’s been fun. I’m going to think about how to get more out of it, for the parents in the community as well as how to make the business of running a content blog like Dad-o-Matic make sense. What’s your take? What do you think about the project overall? What would you do differently, if you were starting Dad-o-Matic? |
| Posted: 22 Sep 2008 02:41 PM PDT
What’s In It For Me? (WIIFM?)Here’s one way to help your audience understand what’s in it for them: start by asking them a question that sounds like it came from right out of their head. If you’re giving a session on how the communications industry will be changed by audio podcasting, ask something like, “Do you think people REALLY believe that podcasting will change the world?” This is actually two tips in one. It relates to the “what’s in it for me” (WIIFM) issue, but it also does something I love to do in presenting: take away their sword. This means, start by making sure your audience (especially if they’re skeptics) knows that you’re on their side. So, ask a question that might come from your audience’s head, such that it sets them in the right frame of mind to absorb the brilliance you’re about to bestow upon them. TakeawaysThis is something I learned to do better after working with Stephen Saber at CrossTech Media. He stresses that every presentation I do for the company have five takeaway points: things people can do with the information I’ve given them during the presentation. That’s the whole “next steps” stuff that people seem to crave at events. Since I started adding “takeaways” to my presentations, in one form or another, I’ve found that people have started to rate my speeches much more useful. I score high on entertainment, but now, with making sure people know what comes next, they also get scored pretty high on usefulness. Takeaways should be very actionable. If you’ve finished up your speech on how podcasting changes communication, give people an assignment to find five podcasts on iTunes and subscribe for a month. Take notes on the ways each show introduces information, etc. Review your current corporate communications documents. Do any lend themselves to a potential audio format as well? Things like that. How These HelpPeople love structure. In my recent post on Cirque Du Soleil, I failed to note just how structured the experience was from start to finish. From buying tickets to being seated, from the opening curtain to the final bow, everything in the experience was crafted such that we, the audience, didn’t have to think much about the mechanics of the experience. We could just watch the event and absorb the experience. By starting with WIIFM and ending with 5 takeaways - even if you do it in a creative way that breaks the mold a bit, people will feel like they better understand and appreciate your efforts to educate and entertain them. Does that make sense? Have you done something like this? How do you improve what I have here? Photo credit, Brian Solis |
| How Cirque Du Soleil Shows Social Media Love Posted: 22 Sep 2008 08:13 AM PDT
Jess came to this year’s Blog World Expo, and hung out with us in the sessions, the blogger’s lounge, and all around. More importantly, she also came out to the party events as well. And that’s where we learned about what the Cirque Du Soleil thinks about we blogger types. We were at a party that was a little too crowded. As I pushed through to leave, I saw Jess leaving as well. I asked her, “Hey, where’s somewhere we can go to stretch out a bit? Know a decent club that could hold maybe a hundred of us?” Jess said, “Why not go to Revolution?” Revolution is a Beatles-inspired night club/lounge run by the Cirque du Soleil inside the Mirage hotel and casino. It was intimate and colorful and very much themed to match the Cirque show “Love,” which features the music of the Beatles. It also had a line of people waiting out front. But that turned out to be no problem. Dan Kramer, the VIP host out front, had received word from Jess that the bloggers were coming. The bloggers were coming. Dan was every bit the professional, and when I arrived, gave us the most special, personal treatment I could imagine. He knew we weren’t his typical flashy, special guests, but he treated us like royalty right away. (Dan also served two tours in Iraq as a Marine scout, the guys who go out wayyyy before the main military body, and thus, are pretty much on their own in a bind). We had a great night. Lots of folks came by the party, and everyone was treated well, as far as I know. There was a dress code, so a few friends got turned away, but I suspect had I heard about it, I might’ve been able to convince Dan to waive that, too. (But hey, it’s their place, and we have to keep by their rules. No foul there.) I also got to attend the Cirque show Love, featuring the music of the Beatles. I’m sorry that I can’t exactly describe what I saw. I can tell you that I spent the majority of the show going “oh wow!” and “no way!” and “oh jeez” (like when this guy on a kind of swing over the top of the event kept looking like he was going to freefall plummet 40 or so feet. You don’t have to love Beatles music to appreciate the event, but it helped. In the end, what this said to me was that Cirque du Soleil was live and active in our space, had interest in what we were doing, and were interested in doing social media projects of their own. I’m grateful for the kindness of Jessica Berlin and everyone else I encountered in their organization, but mostly, I’m encouraged that a large entertainment operation is doing good social media work both from the web side and the human side. It was a true trust agent move to have Jess there in our midst. Have you seen one of their shows? What do you think of Cirque? Photo credit, Erin MC Hammer |
| You are subscribed to email updates from chrisbrogan.com To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Inbox too full? | |
| If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: chrisbrogan.com, c/o Google, 20 W Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610 | |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.