Every August,
mental_floss spends a good bit of time thinking about the upcoming calendar year. We analyze the magazine stories that have sold well for us: like the "
25 Most Powerful Books" issue. Then we spend some time reflecting on the disasters, like the
mental_floss Swimsuit Issue. (My friend
Chetan and I significantly overestimated America's craving for photos of Einstein and Eleanor Roosevelt.)
Of course, what I love most about these brainstorms isn't the good ideas, but the bad ones. Jason and Jenny's idea for an untimely 1980 celebration issue: "Happy 29th Birthday 1980!" was shot down with vigor. I am convinced it would have sold tens of copies.
I also liked "The Incredible Temper Tantrum Issue!" where we'd cover historical temper tantrums and include a perforated spine in case you wanted to tear the magazine in half; and "The Black Market Issue!"-- the hope being that booksellers would only sell the issue in the alleys behind their stores or trade them for kidneys.
I am certain none of these will make the cut. While I'm keeping the
actual good ideas under wraps (you'll have to wait till next year to see them on the newsstand), I am both in love with bad ideas, and inspired by the government's Cash for Clunkers program.
That's why I'm asking you to send in your bad idea here. We'll mock up our 5 favorite entries for the website. And if you win, I'll personally mail you a moderately crisp $1 bill straight out of my wallet. If the program ends up being too successful, we might expand the budget.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.