Sponsor

2009/12/29

California Love

I've been a musician for over 20 years.  I'm a drummer, and when I'm behind a full set, pounding away, I'm confident that I know what the heck I'm doing.

But for a long time, if you would stick a microphone in my hand, my knees would start to quiver.

I've never been a singer.  At best, I sound like a dying cat stuck in a dryer.  But in my band, they asked if I wanted to rap "California Love" by 2Pac and Dr. Dre.  That being one of my favorite songs, I hesitantly agreed.

I already knew the words.  But I put everything I had into memorizing every aspect of the song; the tonality of each voice, the phrasing, the timing...everything.

After weeks of working on it at home, it came time to do it at practice.  I was nervous for days, but I agreed to do it.

I walked into practice and grabbed the mic.  We ran the song.

And it sucked.

I was terrible.  I had no energy, I was nervous, and I knew it.  The guys in the band were nice about it, but it was obvious that something was lacking.  But they made suggestions, and I went home and practiced.

I came back and did it again.  It still sucked.  But it didn't suck as much.

Weeks of practice and refinement went by.  Little by little, I got better.  I went from sounding like a nervous white boy to, well...a confident white boy.  But I started doing it in front of our crowds...and people went nuts.  The song has now become a staple in our set, and every time I do it, my confidence soars.

It's a funny thing about comfort zones.  Eventually you realize that the only thing keeping you from doing something you're afraid of, like approaching an attractive stranger or asking your boss for a raise, is you.  And when you do that, it's up to YOU to overcome those fears and holdbacks.

NOBODY says it's easy.  But I can tell you from experience, your life feels bigger, better, and badder once you're able to push yourself through those fears.

If you're ready to start pushing your comfort zone and getting the life you've always wanted for yourself, check out www.courage-incorporated.com/ssc. 


Mouthpiece Media, Kyle, TX 78640, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?nBzMzIzMtCysHEwczIyMtGa0LJzM7IwcjA==

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep a civil tongue.

Label Cloud

Technology (1464) News (793) Military (646) Microsoft (542) Business (487) Software (394) Developer (382) Music (360) Books (357) Audio (316) Government (308) Security (300) Love (262) Apple (242) Storage (236) Dungeons and Dragons (228) Funny (209) Google (194) Cooking (187) Yahoo (186) Mobile (179) Adobe (177) Wishlist (159) AMD (155) Education (151) Drugs (145) Astrology (139) Local (137) Art (134) Investing (127) Shopping (124) Hardware (120) Movies (119) Sports (109) Neatorama (94) Blogger (93) Christian (67) Mozilla (61) Dictionary (59) Science (59) Entertainment (50) Jewelry (50) Pharmacy (50) Weather (48) Video Games (44) Television (36) VoIP (25) meta (23) Holidays (14)

Popular Posts (Last 7 Days)