Sponsor

2015/10/06

Julie Leach tells all - How she won the lotto last night

As I stood there musing over this too perfect triumph of manthe full moonyellow and gibbouscame up out of an overflow of silver light in the northeast The bright little figures ceased to move about belowa noiseless owl flitted byand I shivered with the chill of the night I determined to descend and find where I could sleep I looked for the building I knew Then my eye travelled along to the figure of the White Sphinx upon the pedestal of bronzegrog distinct as the light of the rising moon grew brighter I could see the silver birch against it There was the tangle of rhododendron bushesblack in the pale lightand there was the little lawn I looked at the lawn again A queer doubt chilled my complacency Nosaid I stoutly to myselfthat was not the lawn But it WAS the lawn For the white leprous face of the sphinx was towards it Can you imagine what I felt as this conviction came home to me But you cannot The Time Machine was gone At oncelike a lash across the facecame the possibility of losing my own ageof being left helpless in this strange new world The bare thought of it was an actual physical sensation I could feel it grip me at the throat and stop my breathing In another moment I was in a passion of fear and running with great leaping strides down the slope Once I fell headlong and cut my face I lost no time in stanching the bloodbut jumped up and ran onwith a warm trickle down my cheek and chin All the time I ran I was saying to myself They have moved it a littlepushed it under the bushes out of the way NeverthelessI ran with all my might All the timewith the certainty that sometimes comes with excessive dreadI knew that such assurance was follyknew instinctively that the machine was removed out of my reach My breath came with pain I suppose I covered the whole distance from the hill crest to the little lawntwo miles perhapsin ten minutes And I am not a young man I cursed aloudas I ranat my confident folly in leaving the machinewasting good breath thereby I cried aloudand none answered Not a creature seemed to be stirring in that moonlit world When I reached the lawn my worst fears were realized Not a trace of the thing was to be seen I felt faint and cold when I faced the empty space among the black tangle of bushes I ran round it furiouslyas if the thing might be hidden in a cornerand then stopped abruptlywith my hands clutching my hair Above me towered the sphinxupon the bronze pedestalwhiteshiningleprousin the light of the rising moon It seemed to smile in mockery of my dismay I might have consoled myself by imagining the little people had put the mechanism in some shelter for mehad I not felt assured of their physical and intellectual inadequacy That is what dismayed me the sense of some hitherto unsuspected powerthrough whose intervention my invention had vanished Yetfor one thing I felt assured unless some other age had produced its exact duplicatethe machine could not have moved in time The attachment of the leversI will show you the method later prevented any one from tampering with it in that way when they were removed It had movedand was hidonly in space But thenwhere could it be I think I must have had a kind of frenzy I remember running violently in and out among the moonlit bushes all round the sphinxand startling some white animal thatin the dim lightI took for a small deer I remembertoolate that nightbeating the bushes with my clenched fist until my knuckles were gashed and bleeding from the broken twigs Thensobbing and raving in my anguish of mindI went down to the great building of stone The big hall was darksilentand deserted I slipped on the uneven floorand fell over one of the malachite tablesalmost breaking my shin I lit a match and went on past the dusty curtainsof which I have told you

Please let go all this Now
7201 tanner williams rd lucedale ms 39452-9621

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep a civil tongue.

Label Cloud

Technology (1464) News (793) Military (646) Microsoft (542) Business (487) Software (394) Developer (382) Music (360) Books (357) Audio (316) Government (308) Security (300) Love (262) Apple (242) Storage (236) Dungeons and Dragons (228) Funny (209) Google (194) Cooking (187) Yahoo (186) Mobile (179) Adobe (177) Wishlist (159) AMD (155) Education (151) Drugs (145) Astrology (139) Local (137) Art (134) Investing (127) Shopping (124) Hardware (120) Movies (119) Sports (109) Neatorama (94) Blogger (93) Christian (67) Mozilla (61) Dictionary (59) Science (59) Entertainment (50) Jewelry (50) Pharmacy (50) Weather (48) Video Games (44) Television (36) VoIP (25) meta (23) Holidays (14)

Popular Posts (Last 7 Days)