George Santos described criminal charges against him as a "witch hunt" in a defiant press conference following his arrest on Wednesday.
The New York congressman spoke outside a federal courthouse after being arraigned on charges of fraud, theft of public funds and money laundering.
"It's a witch hunt," he told a crowd of reporters. "I'm gonna fight my battle, I'm gonna deliver, I'm gonna fight the witch hunt, I'm gonna take care of clearing my name," he said, adding that he was planning to run for reelection.
The 34-year-old congressman for New York's third district, who won his election after a campaign that was littered with lies about his past, was arrested shortly after 9am after turning himself in to authorities.
In the 13-count indictment, unsealed on Wednesday morning, federal prosecutors accused Mr Santos of lying on financial disclosure forms he filed to the House when he became a candidate, first by overstating his income from one job and failing to disclose income from another, and secondly by lying about his earnings from his company, the Devolder Organization.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.