| 10-K, 10-Q, F-1, F-3, F-4, S-1, S-3, S-11, 13F, Form 4... If those letters and numbers strike you as alphabet soup, you're not alone. Most people won't recognize them. In fact, they're the names of just a few of the many forms that companies and their executives file on a regular basis with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in Washington, D.C. And they're pure gold if you know how to read them (more on that to come). As a cub reporter for The Wall Street Journal a few decades ago, I spent my days poring over these forms in search of nuggets of information that I could turn into interesting newspaper stories. But I have to be honest... At the time, I didn't really understand the value of these documents - beyond offering a good yarn for the Journal. I knew they contained information about initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, sales and profits, lawsuits and patents, and other corporate happenings. But I wasn't fully aware that, in the right hands, some of that data could make an investor - most often a hedge fund or other institutional investor - very rich. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.