Is there anything quite like curling up with a good book or slipping on a pair of headphones after a busy holiday season? As 2026 comes to an end, we here at
The Dispatch wanted to share some of our favorite books, albums, and performances of the year. We'd love to hear yours in the comments!
Alex Demas, Reporter: Kingfishr's HalcyonEarlier this fall, while my mom and I were deep cleaning my D.C. apartment, the Spotify playlist we had on shuffle came to an end, and the app began playing a song we had never heard before. When the chorus hit, we both paused, turned to each other, and simultaneously asked, "Who is this?"
The band was Kingfishr, a fairly new folk group out of Northern Ireland whose debut album,
Halcyon, went on to become one of my favorites this year. The album is far better written, produced, and composed than a typical debut, and—from my experience seeing them perform at D.C.'s 9:30 Club this fall— they're just as talented live as in the studio. If you enjoy anything in the folk/alternative rock genre, give them a try.
Charles Hilu, Reporter: Evelyn Waugh's Edmund Campion: A LifeI didn't read many books that came out in 2025, so the powers that be let me name an older one that I read for the first time this year. I was only about 90 years late to Evelyn Waugh's
Edmund Campion: A Life. The biography tells the story of St. Edmund Campion, an Oxford scholar who dazzled Queen Elizabeth I but later became Catholic, fled England to the continent, and was ordained a priest. Though he worked in Europe for a bit, he was later sent back to England to minister to persecuted Catholics there. He operated like a Catholic ninja, moving discreetly from household to household to celebrate Mass and hear confessions. Eventually, the authorities caught up with and executed him. Waugh's beautiful prose tells the inspiring story of his life and martyrdom.
Kelsey Dallas, SCOTUSblog Managing Editor: Kate Baer's How About NowAnytime I read a book of poetry, I fold down the top corner of the pages I want to return to. When I did this with
How About Now, Kate Baer's latest poetry collection, the book nearly doubled in size from my folding. I loved Baer's reflections on the beauty of growing older. She dares her readers to laugh in the face of their wrinkles, extra weight, and sore joints.
Steve Hayes, Co-Founder and CEO: Goose's Everything Must Go (April 2025) & Chain Yer Dragon (August 2025)Ever find yourself listening to Widespread Panic or Phish or even the Allman Brothers, nodding your head along to a catchy bit of extended play, only to wonder moments later how that very groovable improvisation had given way to discordant honking that only audiences in altered states might find appealing? This was a frustratingly common occurrence for me, even as I've generally liked listening to jam bands—true of live performances and studio recordings alike.
Enter Goose.
My brother Dan took me to a live Goose show in Washington, D.C., last year and it was a revelation. Lots of great improv and several 10-minute-plus jams, devoid of the self-indulgence that sometimes detracts from jammier jam bands. Goose is a jam band for people who aren't entirely persuaded they're into jam bands—jammy enough for the hard core types but enjoyable for the rest of us, too. High-quality musicianship and thoughtful, evocative lyrics fill the band's two new 2025 albums—very welcome arrivals that brought an end to a long new-music rut I'd experienced over the past couple of years. On
the former, check out "Dustin Hoffman," "Give It Time" and "How it Ends," the last one of those an expressive and wistful meditation on life on the road as performers.
This is how it ends,
This is where we go
Tell them, my friends
That we played in a band
And we sang on till the end of the road
On
the latter, listen to "Factory Fiction," "Madalena," (which the band performed live on Saturday Night Live), and "Jed Stone," which I listened to on repeat for about a month.
Ross Anderson, TMD Editor: Mark Kriegal's Baddest Man & Clipse's Let God Sort Em OutI'm greedy, so rather than choose a book or an album, I'm writing about both—and conveniently, they share the theme of Mike Tyson (whom I've never particularly cared about). I read roughly 20 new releases this year, and my favorite was a completely random try: Mark Kriegel's
Baddest Man: The Making of Mike Tyson. It's a biography written like pulp fiction, and it neither venerates nor demonizes Tyson. The boxer is at times glorious, at others horrifying, and Kriegel is there on the sidelines with a thoughtful and entertaining read. My favorite album was
Let God Sort Em Out: the reunion record of 2000s coke rap legends Malice and Pusha T, known together as Clipse. Produced entirely by Pharrell, the album is decadent, aggressive, head-banging, and a Scorsese movie on wax, as the sibling lyricists try to outcompete each other for most creative, clever bars. "
So Be It" is incredible, as are "
P.O.V." featuring Tyler, the Creator and "
Chains & Whips" with Kendrick Lamar—but the best verses are probably on "
M.T.B.T.T.F.," an abbreviation of "Mike Tyson Blow to the Face." But there's not a single skip on the album.
Valerie Pavilonis, Ideas Editor: Olivia Nuzzi's American CantoThis book is not good if you're wanting to read a book. (I discuss that in greater detail in
my review, for which I had to go outside the house because the powers that be thought it was too clickbait-y. And that's fair.) However, it
is good if you've been wanting to punch up the quality of your personal diary, which in the best cases can be a work of art and in most cases is an exercise in self-indulgence. In fact, I'd bet the farm that
American Canto would've had a completely different reception had it been titled "Self Indulgence." But that would've been too self-aware!
James Sutton, TMD Reporter: Cameron Winter's Heavy MetalI recently had the privilege of seeing the (in my opinion) cultural event of the year—singer-songwriter, and lead singer of breakout band Geese (not to be confused with Goose), Cameron Winter's show at an absolutely packed Carnegie Hall, where he performed his solo album,
Heavy Metal. If you combined Warren Zevon's songwriting chops with Nick Cave's gift for imagery, and added on a voice that sometimes feels like it's close to Jeff Buckley levels, you would get pretty close to what Winter brings. He joined a
very select crowd of artists to play Carnegie, and he absolutely earned it. Winter was so good that the standing ovation went on for 10 minutes, and got even louder when the lights came on, until he finally agreed to play an encore.
Jake Newby, friend of TMD and writer of Concrete Avalanche: Cola Ren's Mekong BalladThe year in music from China featured
regional identity rap,
Midwest emo revival, and
helter-skelter hyperpop releases, but my record of 2025 is
Mekong Ballad by Guangzhou-based producer
Cola Ren.
Building on the atmospheric, ambient-adjacent electronic sound she established on her first two EPs, this new release saw her weave in instrumentation from Thai trumpeter rrrrrm and Beijing-based saxophonist tga while also adding her own vocals for the first time. The result is a glorious, soothing listen that has seen Ren deservedly garner praise from across the globe.
Peter Gattuso, TMD Reporter: Oasis Live '25I wasn't planning to sell my kidney to go see the Oasis reunion tour, but when my friend texted me one week before the band's show at MetLife Stadium—"Osasis [sic] floor tickets?"—peer pressure got the better of me. And I'm so glad it did. The sea of bucket-hat-wearing fanatics around me on the floor never let the energy wane, even during the ballads, and Liam Gallagher repeatedly demonstrated that
the skill of balancing a tambourine on one's head doesn't diminish with age. My guess is that only a few people within the mostly American audience were huge fans of Manchester City F.C. (or soccer in general), but that didn't seem to stop anyone from partaking in the
Poznań, where everyone turns around to face away from the stage, links arms, and jumps together before moshing into the intro of Oasis' "Cigarettes & Alcohol." I also got to see another favorite band of mine—Cage the Elephant, which opened for Oasis—and I doubt I'll ever get a better two-for-one bargain in my lifetime. I know, I know … I'm bending the rules a bit here, because Oasis hasn't released a new album. Am I happy about that? "
No, I'm not! I want MORE!"
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.