 |
|
|
1 |
|
Paint to flatter
The bathroom can be a place where we focus on our insecurities, says Aaron Markwell, colour lead at Coat, so if that’s you pick a wall colour which makes you feel good. “I tend not to use green,” says Markwell. “For most people – other than those with olive skin – green light is not very flattering.” |
|
2 |
|
Introduce something old
With so many hard white surfaces, adding a bit of aged or antique wood can soften the room. “Antique mirrors or chairs in a bathroom are lovely” says interior designer Kate Guinness, “or if you’ve got space for an armchair that’s heaven.”
Rental interiors influencer Carly Fuller of My City Apartment recommends open wood shelving and matching refillable shampoo and conditioner bottles for a “fancy spa feel.” If space is tight, says interior designer Emma Neame, put a shelf above the door with a pretty vintage crate on it for storing towels. |
|
3 |
|
Tone with your favourite tile
If you love an expensive tile but can’t afford to cover your bathroom in it, Emma Neame suggests finding more affordable tiles that tone with it: “In a project at the moment I’m using an expensive tile sparingly but taking tones from it for the rest of the room with paint and a more affordable neutral tile.”
When planning tiling, says Grazziella Wilson, head of creative at stone and tile brand Ca Pietra, common mistakes include forgetting the impact that grout will have on the look of a room (“the smaller the tile, the more grout lines, which can make a small room look busy”, she says), not checking the maintenance a tile will need before you order, and forgetting to add an extra 10% to your amount for wastage or breaks – a particularly large headache if your tile has a long lead time. |
|
4 |
|
Keep lighting options open
If planning a bathroom from scratch, install two lighting modes on separate circuits, says Zara Cowen, interior designer and founder of Huxley Home. Bright lights are fine for a morning shower, but for evening soaks or winding down before bed it’s good to have something softer. “I love putting three tiny little lights in the bath niche, they’re really atmospheric at night,” says Cowen.
For renters, Carly Fuller recommends looking into getting a rechargeable lamp which is bathroom safe – Pooky has a particularly nice range. |
|
|
|
5 |
|
Mix metals
Bathrooms with all-matching metals can feel a bit one-note, says interiors influencer Jodie Hazlewood of The House Upstairs. “I used to think everything had to be the same, but mixing things up actually creates a lighter finish. I now never buy things from the same range.” |
|
6 |
|
Budget tight? Skirt your sink
Because vanity units can be expensive, an alternative way to hide away bathroom clutter is by adding a sink skirt. “I ran out of money when I was doing up my bathroom” says Hazlewood, “so I bought a sink from Ikea for £120 and attached fabric around the base of it.” |
|
7 |
|
Don’t hang precious art
Be aware of steam damage when hanging art in a smaller bathroom, says Lizzie Dixey, founder of The Art Register. “There is a moisture-absorbing foam material you can put into a frame which will help, but generally I wouldn’t put anything too valuable in a bathroom,” she says. Hazlewood agrees: “Things like museum posters and postcards are nice in a bathroom – anything you wouldn’t be devastated to lose.” |
|
|
| |
|
| |
 |
Meet the Maker: Bisila Noha |
 |
Before she begins a new piece, Bisila Noha likes to spend a few minutes moulding clay figurines (“They help me get in the mood”, she says). It’s an appropriate method for a ceramicist whose work is one with humanity at its centre. As well as creating beautiful wheel-thrown and sculptural ceramics, the Spanish-born Londoner is co-director of the arts and activism organisation Lon-art Creative and one of the team behind Design Can, which aims to make the art and design world more inclusive. |
Three words to describe my work … tactile, alive, rooted. |
I’m drawn to ceramics because … they make me feel connected to the earth and our shared humanity. |
 |
The first piece I ever made was … a spoon. |
At the moment I’m very inspired by … the work of Slovakian sculptor Mária Bartuszová, whose exhibition I saw some weeks ago at Tate Modern. |
Art activism is … any art practice that raises awareness or reflects upon social issues or injustices. Through my work, I talk about gender, race and the historically overlooked history of pottery made by women in the global south. At Lon-art Creative we mostly focus on violence against women and girls – in the last four years we have worked with around 60 artists globally – and at Design Can we call for the design industry to be more representative of the world that it serves. |
I’m most proud of … the Baney Clay project, for which I used clay from Equatorial Guinea, where my dad is from. I changed the way I approach my making and a new path opened before me. |
The most important thing I’ve learned from working with ceramics is … to be patient. |
If I could save one piece from my home in a fire it would be … my two "women" by Karina Smagulova. |
For more information on Bisila, visit her website here. |
|
|
| |
|
|
| Be part of the buzz at Coppermaker Square |
 |
Right in the heart of Stratford, one of London’s most exciting neighbourhoods, Coppermaker Square is reinventing renting. These aren’t just high-quality apartments with exceptional views, but a modern, holistic approach to city living.
|
|
|
|
 |
They’ve Got Great Taste |
Your dose of Insta-inspiration. This week: the influencers embracing country living |
 |
@Mrs_Trufflepig – The cheerful yellow kitchen is just one highlight of the Sussex farmhouse Genevieve Harris (above) and her husband have painstakingly restored – army of ducks notwithstanding.
@Sean_anthony_pritchard – Squashy sofas, low beams, teetering piles of well thumbed books – the cosy home of landscape gardener Sean Anthony Pritchard is relaxed English country maximalism at its best.
@BenPentreath – As the interior designer favoured by the Princess of Wales, it’s no surprise that Pentreath’s own Dorset home is a decorative masterclass. And, thanks to his horticultural designer husband Charlie McCormack, so is the dahlia filled garden.
@Growing_Greenfields – Follow Diana as she slowly renovates her 240-year-old home in the Scottish borders, with plenty of upholstery inspiration on her other account, @Greenfieldstitchery. |
|
|
| |
 |
Dream Pad: A British designer’s home in Bali |
 |
From the Guardian archive: Combining lush greenery with brutalist concrete – there’s even a tree growing out of the living room floor – this Bali home is a modernist island paradise made with sustainable living in mind. |
|
|
| |
 |
This Old Thing: The side table |
 |
Paula Sutton, founder of Hill House Vintage, on the smart way to hunt for a preloved piece
“I am known to be a table addict. Whether a dining table, a kitchen table or a table for use in the garden, each one has to tick off a particular set of style rules to be allowed over the threshold.
“Naturally, sturdy and flat-surfaced are the first basic necessities (perhaps obvious, but it’s amazing how often people fail to notice the slant that will cause your mug to slide sideways until it’s too late!) but on the whole, I love the timelessness of curves, and the elegance of a taper or flute, so turned legs, cabriole or a Queen Anne leg will always be winners for me.
“Unusual shapes work well as side tables, and bobbin legs, fretwork and carvings all add dimension and interest. I also like wine tables that can be found liberally in vintage or antique shops. Traditionally, a round top with a single pedestal base, they are elegant and convenient enough to pull out or tuck away depending on size and – as with all good vintage – suit a variety of interiors both modern and old”.
|
|
|
| |
| Advertisement |
|
 |
|
 |
Inside issue six |
 |
Next week: get your work-life balance right with our expert advice on organising the office. Plus: the stylish yet sustainable wallpaper that gives back to the planet. |
|
|
| |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.