Hello,
Due to a technical glitch, some readers may have received this week’s Travel Insider newsletter with one section – “What travellers need to know about cyclospora” – not displaying correctly. Please find the newsletter in full below.
Apologies for any confusion, and thank you for reading.
|
|
|
The problem with alcohol at 35,000ft
|
Sometimes I think flight attendants are true heroes. On the first leg of a Qatar Airways flight to Cambodia last year I found myself seated next to a man who steadily drank his way through a couple of beers and a whiskey, becoming increasingly loud and obnoxious, grabbing at my arm and trying to start conversations. Noticing my growing discomfort, a flight attendant swooped in. She quickly located an empty seat between two women, and calmly moved my belongings for me so I could slip away to my new spot with no fuss.
I thought back to how grateful I’d been for her swift and efficient response when, earlier this week, we reported on an aggressive and unpleasant passenger on a British Airways flight. The incident on the plane went viral, with the passenger who filmed it praising the flight attendant for handling the incident firmly, calmly and with poise. This man wasn’t simply being rowdy; his behaviour descended into shouting, vicious swearing and pushing. Despite covering these sorts of stories again and again, it still shocks me that this is what flight attendants have to deal with while carrying out their jobs.
Unfortunately, incidents like these are all too common. Although rates of unruly passengers actually fell slightly last year compared to 2024, when one incident was reported in every 307 flights, according to the International Air Transport Association (Iata), there was still one incident involving an unruly or disruptive passenger for every 355 flights in 2025.
A few months ago our senior travel writer Natalie Wilson spent a day training as a flight attendant with British Airways, getting a taste of the safety procedures, service and aircraft knowledge that staff have to learn over the course of a six-week intensive course. As much as I enjoyed watching the video of her using a mini fire extinguisher, inflating her life jacket and trying to navigate the aisle with a wayward drinks trolley, I was most interested to learn about the crucial role that flight attendants play in our safety, and the training they have to undergo to handle disruptive passengers.
There’s no denying the common denominator in incidents of air rage tends to be alcohol. Earlier this year, Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary called for a ban of drinking before flights, prompting a slew of opinion pieces complaining that the morning pint was a tradition and part of our culture. I’ve got to say, I err on the side of O’Leary for this one (something I don’t often say). I’m not averse to a glass of sauvignon blanc before a flight or even an airport pint at Wetherspoons, but it’s something I would happily forgo if it meant we could all be safer in the sky. It would be a shame to deny passengers – the vast majority of whom can have a drink or two (or three or four) responsibly – a pre-flight tipple, but I do also vehemently believe that no flight attendant should ever have to tackle potential violence at 35,000 feet. Not to mention the distress caused to other passengers when a passenger becomes aggressive, disruptive or violent, and the cost of flight diversions.
The main issue here is enforcement – short of breathalysers at the gate or treating flying like driving with a strict limit, there’s not really an effective way to police that 10am pint. What makes more sense to me is to do away with in-flight booze. I appreciate a couple of drinks can make a flight more tolerable, but surely we can all manage a few hours in the air without the need to crack open a cold one or sip on a mediocre Chardonnay? And as sad as I feel for those Business Class passengers denied their glass of bubbly, I think they’ll probably cope.
Do you think alcohol should be banned on flights? I’d love to hear your thoughts at annabel.grossman@independent.co.uk.
|
Do you really need a glass or two when you fly? (Getty/iStock)
|
|
|
|
|
Warning for beaches after Portuguese man o’ war spotted
|
|
|
|
|
|
Airline cancelled flight after child refuses to fasten seatbelt
|
|
|
|
|
|
Two European countries connected by train from £4.60
|
|
|
|
|
|
Etias travel permit delayed again – with 2026 launch unlikely
|
|
|
|
|
|
Heathrow overtaken as world’s busiest airport
|
|
|
|
|
|
Lydia Swinscoe had been travelling the world solo for 20 years when she stumbled upon her person in Sri Lanka
|
|
|
|
|
The veterans who spend thousands chasing the thrill of the natural spectacle reveal why it's worth it
|
|
|
|
|
The Eternal City’s subterranean archaeological sites aren’t just cool, they’re cool - enough to need a jacket
|
|
|
|
|
Should alcohol be banned on flights?
|
|
|
|
I’ve laid out my arguments for why I think it’s time to say bye to in-flight drinking, but what do you think? Is it irresponsible to sell alcohol at 35,000ft? Or is it going too far to ban booze in the air?
|
|
|
|
|
After an RAC analysis found that drop-off fees at Britain’s busiest airports have risen by a third on average since last summer, we asked if the charge would push you towards public transport. Opinion was split, with 51 per cent of you voting yes.
|
|
|
|
|
We may be midway through August already, but with the sun still shining, there’s plenty of time to make the most of the summer. I’ve just returned from a trip to Somerset, where one of the highlights was visiting Glastonbury Tor. I hadn’t realised just how spectacular the 360-degree views would be! It inspired me to invest in a pair of binoculars to take on walks and hikes for the rest of the summer. They would certainly have come in handy at Cheddar Gorge, where we saw wild goats clambering along the cliffs, as well as a white-tailed eagle.
If you’re planning some hikes to make the most of the rest of summer, we’ve rounded up the best walking poles, which are great for providing some extra support on tougher terrain. And if you’re hoping to camp while the weather lasts, Lidl’s new 3-in-1 camping gadget has a speaker, power bank and solar light, all for just £14.99. Of course, if you prefer a more leisurely amble, a decent pair of walking sandals, such as this water-resistant pair from Fitflop, will keep your feet supported and comfortable. Alternatively, these Skechers walking sandals were described as ‘ridiculously comfortable’ by our tester and are currently reduced to under £40.
Meanwhile, if you’re lucky enough to be jetting off soon, there are plenty of accessories that can make your trip smoother. A decent pair of travel socks, a Kindle or good book, and a pair of wireless headphones will all help make the journey more comfortable. And if you need new luggage, this John Lewis cabin suitcase has been reduced to clear.
|
|
|
South Korea is somewhere that I’m incredibly keen to visit, but I have previously been a little wary that the capital city Seoul would be very fast-paced, crowded and overwhelming. However, on reading our assistant editor Hayley’s article in which she described staying in one of the city’s traditional hanok houses, I’m reminded that in even the most hectic cities, you can find pockets of tranquility, if you know where to look.
As Hayley points out, the majority of Seoul’s nearly 9.6 million residents now live in high-rise apartment blocks rather than the historical buildings – many of which were already destroyed during the Korean War and the Japanese occupation – so staying in a traditional hanok is a special experience. Her home for the night was tucked away down an alley far from the city crowds. “I couldn’t see another soul in the vicinity,” Hayley writes.
In the “cavernous, minimalist space”, Hayley says there was everything a traveller would need for a comfortable night’s stay, along with exquisite details that make the space unique. She adds: “I was taken by the ornate folding screens hand-painted with vibrant motifs, which would have reflected the occupant’s wishes or ideals – mandarin ducks for marital harmony, and mountains for protection, for example.”
While part of the appeal of a city like Seoul is the bright lights and high energy, I love the idea of being able to find an oasis in the centre of it all; one that helps you understand a little more about the history of the country. Hayley writes: “The hanok was the homiest place I stayed in the city. I had lapped up the gleaming and edgy sides of Seoul – its spas, shops and late-night scene – but my final night was an opportunity to slow down, feel grounded and peek into its past. The perfect send-off.”
Read Hayley’s full article about staying in a traditional hanok
|
|
|
|
|
Dreaming of setting sail? Save up to £450 per person on selected October and November river cruises with Riviera Travel. Plus, enjoy a host of extras, including a free all-inclusive drinks package, local tours, transfers and more. Find out more.
|
|
|
|
|
Stay from £65 when you book within 7 days of your arrival date, with new locations updated every week.
|
|
|
|
What travellers need to know about cyclospora
|
Reports of cyclospora – the infection that is said to cause explosive diarrhoea – make for pretty grim reading.
While cyclospora is not currently found in the UK, there have been 67 confirmed cases in returning travellers to the UK, so if you’re heading to North America on your holidays this year it makes sense to take precautions to avoid the food and water bug. Dr Richard Dawood, a travel medical specialist at Fleet Street Clinic, which tests for cyclospora, told my team that the number of confirmed cases “always underestimates the true scale of an outbreak like this”, so the true number is “probably much bigger” – although cyclospora is one of the less frequent causes of diarrhoea. The best thing you can do is to follow good food and water hygiene measures – something that is recommended wherever you travel in the world.
According to the UK Health Security Agency, of the 51 cases of cyclospora with travel information available, 48 reported travel to Mexico.
Dr Richard Dawood advised: “I would strongly recommend that anyone going to Mexico should be familiar with preventive measures, in terms of choosing thoroughly cooked food. Salads are very difficult to make safe if they are contaminated, so I would really advise people to stick to things that they have actually watched being cooked or that are freshly cooked and served hot.”
Packing symptomatic treatment such as rehydration tablets is also a good idea when travelling abroad. “If you don’t, you risk losing several days of your trip languishing close to the toilets in your hotel room,” said Dr Dawood.
|
|
|
Take out an Independent Premium subscription and unlock expert travel analysis, insider tips and the best deals to help you make the most of every trip.
Join now with our introductory offer: just £1 for 6 months
|
|
|
Latest lifestyle headlines from Bulletin: |
|
|
Join the conversation and follow us
|
|
|
Please do not reply directly to this email
You are currently registered to receive The Independent's Travel newsletter.
To unsubscribe from The Independent's Travel newsletter, or to manage your email preferences please click here.
This e-mail was sent by Independent Digital News and Media Ltd, 14-18 Finsbury Square, London EC2A 1AH. Registered in England and Wales with company number 07320345
Read our privacy policy and cookie policy
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.