These summers are becoming the norm which is a bit worrying if I’m honest. Physically it is slightly easier, you’re not pulling sheets on and off, constantly on duty with the covers, but mentally it is really tough. I’m not saying it has the pressures of a teacher or a brain surgeon, but the pitches dry out so quickly, it is really tricky to maintain moisture and if we cover up we can scorch the square.
The way things are going, there will be more water restrictions in this country, so we have to be proactive. There are two or three bits of tech I’ve looked at– rainwater harvesting, irrigating from underground and feeding the roots. I’ve even thought about putting a brook into our practice ground – sometimes the stupider the idea, the better it is. We haven’t had rain for months.
The biggest thing is staff welfare, with people working out in extreme heat. You can do all the due diligence you want but we still have to get stuff done. I’m thinking of adapting rollers, putting a parasol on the top.
Climate change is there, evident for all to see, and if I didn’t try to protect my staff I wouldn’t be doing my job properly. Up and down the country groundstaff are having to do what they can.
For limited-over matches there are criteria we have to stick to, basically they want pitches like the M6, but in four-day games they’re looking for a bit more balance between bat and ball. The team have been doing 14- to 15-hour days to get the pitches ready.
It used to be at its hottest at 2pm, now the peak is 2-6 so we’ve been running around like idiots in the morning then hitting the shade. I’m glad to see the football season come along because we need a break.
When I first started at Leicestershire in 1993 there were about 20 games in a season, which started on 20 April and finished on 10 September. We will have 48 games at Edgbaston this year plus the 166 training days. The schedule is a killer.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.