Political Rants |
| Libertarianism vs. Neo-Conservatism Posted: 22 Sep 2008 04:25 PM CDT I’ve heard a couple of people I know on the right describe their beliefs as “Libertarian”, but the policies they support seem to me to be a lot closer to Neo-Conservatism. So I decided to make a chart, so people know the difference:
· Libertarians are uber-doves. Neo-Cons are uber-hawks. “[Conservatism] is so influenced by business culture and by business modes of thinking that it lacks any political imagination, which has always been, I have to say, a property of the Left…. What’s the point of being the greatest, most powerful nation in the world and not having an imperial role? It’s unheard of in human history. The most powerful nation always had an imperial role…. [Previous empires were not] capitalist democracies with a strong emphasis on economic growth and economic prosperity…. It’s too bad, I think it would be natural for the United States… to play a far more dominant role in world affairs. Not what we’re doing now but to command and to give orders as to what is to be done. People need that. There are many parts of the world—Africa in particular—where an authority willing to use troops can make a very good difference, a healthy difference…. [But with public discussion dominated by accountants] there’s the Republican Party tying itself into knots. Over what? Prescriptions for elderly people? Who gives a damn? I think it’s disgusting that… presidential politics of the most important country in the world should revolve around prescriptions for elderly people. Future historians will find this very hard to believe. It’s not Athens. It’s not Rome. It’s not anything.” -Irving Kristol, Father of Neo-Conservatism and William Kristol Recent Interview With McCain on 60 Minutes: McCain: “No, I think the deregulation was probably helpful to the growth of our economy.” http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/opinion/22krugman.html?_r=1&oref=slogin |
| You are subscribed to email updates from Political Rants To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner |
| Inbox too full? | |
| If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: Political Rants, c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA 60610 | |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.