Welcome to the JackQuisitions newsletter, |
A single hydro-excavation truck can generate $600,000 to $1 million+ in annual revenue. With recurring commercial customers, high barriers to entry, and strong hourly rates, the economics can get interesting fast. |
But there’s a catch: the truck can cost $350,000 to $600,000, and every hour it sits is money lost. |
So before I spent a dollar on equipment, I’d do one thing first: sell the work. |
Here are all my thoughts on this business opportunity: |
 |
Why You Should Start a Hydro Vac Business in 2026 |
|
|
|
|
|
Ready For Your Next Acquisition? |
Check out these acquisition opportunities that caught my eye this week: |
|
|
|
|
Prove the Demand Before You Buy the Truck |
The economics of hydro excavation look great on paper. |
At roughly $350 per billable hour, one truck running six hours a day for 250 days can generate around $600,000 per year. Push utilization closer to eight billable hours a day, then layer in mobilization, disposal, emergency work, and overtime, and that same truck can start pushing toward $1 million in annual revenue. |
But there’s a big difference between owning a truck capable of producing $1 million and actually producing $1 million. |
The entire business comes down to utilization. |
A full-size hydro-excavation truck can cost $350,000 to $600,000. Then you have financing, operators, insurance, diesel, maintenance, water, disposal and downtime to worry about. |
If I financed a $500,000 truck and it sat three days a week, those economics would fall apart quickly. |
That’s why I’d approach this business backward. |
Step 1: Find the Buyers |
Before shopping for equipment, I’d build a list of every potential customer in my market. |
That would include: |
|
|
The advantage here is that you don't need thousands of customers. |
This is a B2B business where a handful of strong commercial relationships could potentially keep a truck busy. One large utility contractor alone could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. |
Step 2: Find Out What They're Already Spending |
Next, I’d start making calls. |
The most important question would be simple: |
“How much are you currently spending on hydro excavation?” |
I’d want to find four or five contractors already spending meaningful money on the service. |
Then I’d dig deeper. |
How often do they need a hydro vac? How quickly can their current provider respond? How long do they typically wait? What do they pay? What frustrates them about their current provider? |
I’m looking for evidence that demand already exists and that there’s an opening for another operator. |
Step 3: Sell Before You Own |
If I found enough demand, I’d start trying to win the work before buying anything. |
That could mean getting a verbal commitment, becoming an approved or preferred vendor, agreeing on pricing, or simply having customers tell me they’d start sending work my way as soon as the truck was available. |
The goal is to answer one question: |
Can I keep this truck working? |
Only after I had enough confidence in that answer would I start looking at equipment. |
Step 4: Buy Around the Demand |
Once the work is there, buying the truck becomes the easy part. |
Now I know what customers need, what they're willing to pay, and roughly how many billable hours I can expect. I can use that information to decide what truck I need, how much I can afford, and whether the numbers actually work. |
That’s the bigger lesson here. |
Whether you're buying a hydro vac, an HVAC company, or any other capital-intensive business, don't confuse having the asset with having a business. |
|
|
My Final Thoughts |
A hydro-excavation business has serious revenue potential, but only if you can keep an expensive truck working. Prove the demand, line up the customers, and then buy the equipment. |
Happy hunting, |
Jack |
How do you feel about today's JackQuisitions newsletter? |
|
|
Disclosure: Some of the content and links in this newsletter are sponsored or affiliate links, which means we may receive payment or earn a commission if you click through or purchase. However, all opinions expressed are entirely my own. |
|
|
📺️ Watch JackQuisitions episodes on YouTube |
🎧 Listen to JackQuisitions episodes on Apple and Spotify |
📰 Subscribe to the Owned and Operated newsletter here |
📰 Subscribe to the Entry & Exit newsletter here |
📧 Share the JackQuisitions newsletter with a friend |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.