Welcome to the JackQuisitions newsletter, |
Two traffic control crews, billing $2,500 per day for 180 days, would bring in $900,000 in annual revenue. And that’s before renting out a single arrow board, message sign, or crash truck. |
I broke down how this business makes money, why contractors keep calling the same provider, and where I’d focus if I were building one from scratch. |
 |
This “Boring” Business Can Make $5,000 a Day |
|
|
|
|
A Home Service Conference Built for Operators |
Most conferences end when the speaker leaves the stage. Catalyst gives you three days to see how other operators work, ask questions, and build relationships you’ll keep using after the event. |
Join roughly 100 home service owners and leaders in Akron, Ohio, May 3–5, 2027. You’ll tour Wilson Companies HQ, dig into real challenges during tactical sessions, and have candid conversations over dinner with people building businesses like yours. |
Bring your leadership team. Leave with ideas you can put to work. |
|
|
|
|
Ready For Your Next Acquisition? |
Check out these acquisition opportunities that caught my eye this week: |
|
|
|
|
The Business Behind the Barricades |
Every time a contractor opens up a road, someone has to keep traffic moving and workers safe. The company handling that job can bill for the crew, trucks, setup and equipment, sometimes all on the same project. |
Here’s the math that caught my attention: two crews × $2,500 per day × 180 billable days = $900,000 in annual revenue. That’s a revenue scenario, not a profit projection. You still have to pay the crews, maintain the equipment and deliver every job safely. |
If I were starting a traffic control company, I’d begin with demand. I’d make a list of the plumbing companies, utility contractors, pavers and civil crews in my market, then ask who they call when a job requires flaggers or a lane closure. |
I’d want to know: |
How much notice do they usually get before a road job?
Where does their current provider let them down?
Which trucks, signs and boards do they request most often?
|
Those answers would tell me what to sell first. If contractors keep struggling to find a crew for short-notice jobs, I’d focus on staffing and scheduling. If they’re repeatedly renting arrow boards or message signs, I’d track those requests before buying my own. |
I wouldn’t fill a yard with equipment and hope customers show up. I’d rent or subcontract what I need for the first jobs, record how often each item goes out and buy against proven demand. An arrow board that stays booked is an asset. One that sits in the yard is a payment. |
Over time, I’d work toward handling the whole job: the traffic control plan, equipment delivery, setup, flaggers, site maintenance and removal. That saves the contractor from coordinating multiple vendors. It also gives me more ways to earn revenue from each project. |
The hard part is execution. A customer may call at 4 p.m. needing six people and two trucks the next morning. I’d build a bench of trained workers, confirm every deployment the day before and use a checklist so the right equipment arrives with the crew. |
Safety has to drive that process. A missed shift is costly; a bad setup can put someone’s life at risk. Training, documentation and reliable crews are what make contractors comfortable calling you again. |
|
|
My Final Thoughts |
I’d use flagging to win the first jobs, then build toward equipment rentals and full-service traffic control. The $900,000 scenario shows the revenue potential of two busy crews. What you build around those crews determines how durable the business becomes. |
Happy hunting, |
Jack |
How do you feel about today's JackQuisitions newsletter? |
|
|
Disclosure: Some of the content and links in this newsletter are sponsored or affiliate links, which means we may receive payment or earn a commission if you click through or purchase. However, all opinions expressed are entirely my own. |
|
|
📺️ Watch JackQuisitions episodes on YouTube |
🎧 Listen to JackQuisitions episodes on Apple and Spotify |
📰 Subscribe to the Owned and Operated newsletter here |
📰 Subscribe to the Entry & Exit newsletter here |
📧 Share the JackQuisitions newsletter with a friend |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep a civil tongue.